Parliaments in the Digital Age:
World e-Parliament Report 2016:
Modernization of the Standing Orders of the House of Commons:
The performance of parliaments – the bridge between Citizens and Government – is a key indicator of the health of a country’s governance framework.
The E-parliament transformation aims to reinforce the integral oversight function of Parliament and its position as a key institution in the overall accountability chain.
Furthermore, E-parliament helps to implement, consolidate and further deepen economic governance reforms that focus on improving government accountability, by:
- Strengthening legislative oversight capacity in key oversight functions,
- The implementation of key innovative reforms such as performance based budgeting and public petitions
- The design and implementation of key institutional reforms such as an e-Petitions platform in Parliament and the establishment of a parliamentary petitions system.
E-parliament innovation can contribute to enhance some mechanisms for public engagement:
- Open parliament in the area of public access to information
- Strengthening avenues for public engagement;
- Knowledge development and dissemination of the value and impact of ongoing reforms among citizens and civil society.